Sunnyland Neighborhood Remodel
When our clients bought this beautiful old craftsman the attic had been converted into an apartment. The apartment was drafty and cold to boot! With a growing family they found that they needed to convert the space into something more usable and efficient. To achieve this goal we rearranged the current space to create a master bedroom, kids room, an office and a spacious reading nook. We also completed extensive energy efficiency updates.
The key players in this project were the clients, Armadillo Design Lab, [bundle] design studio, the Community Energy Challenge and us. [bundle] design studio worked their magic and drew up plans that made the relatively small space highly functional and comfortable. The major improvements included vaulting the ceiling, creating built in storage to maximize functional space and greatly improving the building performance of the home.
Green building is at the core of what we do, a few examples from this project include:
- The Re-Store was able re-use cabinets, trim, plumbing and electrical fixtures from the space.
- Robbins Hardwoods refinished and repaired the original fir flooring.
- Baraa Woodworking built new cabinets with FSC certified plywood (formaldehyde free) and used a low VOC finish.
- We added a mini split heat pump and completed extensive air sealing and insulation to improve the overall building performance of the home.
- Spectrum Plumbing installed an advanced hot water distribution system to dramatically reduce the wait time for hot water, which will result in less wasted water.
- The clients elected to use all LED lighting because they are better on so many fronts! They are mercury free, last for decades and are dimmable. They also provide better light quality than CFL’s.
- Black Fin Design installed custom made handrails and railings made from steel, adding an industrial feel to the space.
“We hired Chuckanut Builders to do a “down to the studs” renovation of the second floor of our house, along with comprehensive energy upgrades. They did a fantastic job and I would not hesitate to recommend them or hire them again. Every one of their employees we worked with was friendly, courteous, thoughtful, and committed to doing good work and getting the job done right. Chuckanut made a schedule and stayed close to it throughout, even when a few complications arose. We especially appreciated their dedication to sustainable and environmentally friendly building practices, and we appreciated that they went to extra efforts to leave the job site clean on Fridays so we could explore the work over the weekend. The finished product, almost a year later, still looks great and makes us happy. I think their motto is something like, “Committed to the community, committed to the craft” and they’re succeeding at both.” – Sunnyland Remodel homeowner
Looking for a contractor for your custom remodeling project?